With age and time, we tend to get more and more sedentary. There could be many reasons for that to happen to us. It might be due to some of the health issues that we have, pain or weight problems, or the age-old fear that we would have accidents while exercising. The reason also could be that you think you and exercise don’t really go well together. However, with age, having an active and healthy lifestyle becomes more and more important than what you might think. If you have an active lifestyle then it can help in boosting the energy levels of your body, maintaining your independence, protecting the heart from diseases, and also managing different and complicated symptoms of pain and illness from the body. Not to mention that you can also keep your weight in check as well.
Staying healthy doesn’t just mean that you have a muscular and fit body. It also means that you have a properly functioning mind as well. Exercise at an old age can help in boosting the mood which can invariably have an effect on your mind as well as your memory. So, it doesn’t really matter what your age is, if you have a physical condition or not, with proper exercise, everything can be alright. You will not only get to improve your body but your mind as well. These are some of the main reasons why senior exercise is so important to most people out there.
With the recent findings, it can be said that with proper physical activity, one can actually ensure longevity which means that they will be able to add extra years to their lives. With exercise, you not only feel better but you will feel much better as well. Who wouldn’t want to have an energetic life and a proper physique right?
Understanding The Physical Benefits Of Exercise #
There is literally no limit to the benefits that you can get with a proper exercise routine. Here are some of the physical health benefits of exercising for seniors.
- Lose Weight: One of the best things about exercise for seniors that it helps them in losing weight or maintaining it in the best way for sure. We all know that the metabolism of the body slows down as we start to age. So, in such cases, it can be a bit difficult to maintain weight. Well, exercise can actually be a great factor in increasing the metabolism of the body. This helps in the body in building more muscle mass and also helps to burn a lot of calories as well. Hence, exercise is one of the best things that anyone can do in order to lose or maintain weight.
- Reduces Chronic Diseases And Illnesses: Well, another one of the main benefits of exercise is that it helps in the reduction of the effects that chronic diseases and illnesses which are present on the body. It is seen that the people who exercise daily have a much more improved immune system. Also, their digestive functioning is improved as well. Along with there is an improvement in the blood pressure as well as the bone density of the body. People who also tend to exercise more have fewer chances of having diseases such as Alzheimer’s, diabetes, obesity, certain cancers, and osteoporosis. This proves the fact that seniors need to exercise more if they want to minimize the effects of illness and other chronic diseases as well.
- Increases Flexibility, Balance, And Mobility: The last but definitely not the least physical benefits that come with the exercise is that it helps in the improvement of the strength of the body. Exercise also tends to make the body more flexible as well. Also, the posture can be perfected with regular workouts. These things certainly are a great help when it comes to increasing the balance of the body and achieving the perfect coordination as well. Exercise also helps in reducing the risk of life for seniors. With the help of strength training, one can alleviate the symptoms of several chronic diseases.
Understanding The Mental Health Benefits Of Exercise #
When it comes to exercise it is not just the physical body that is benefitted. There are also some mental health benefits that come with exercise as well. Here we are listing some mental health benefits of regular exercise.
- Improves Sleep: One of the best things about exercise is that it helps in the improvement of sleep. Quality sleep is essential for the overall health of the body and we are all familiar with the fact. However, one thing that you might not know is that exercise can actually help you achieve the perfect sleep. Regular activity due to exercise will tire the body and as a result of that you will get to fall asleep quicker than you think and it will be a deep sleep for sure. And in the end, you will feel more refreshed and energetic as well.
- Boosting Self Confidence And Mood: Another main mental health benefit with regular exercise is that it helps in relieving a lot of stress. The endorphins that are produced after a workout session can help in the reduction of feeling such as anxiety, depression, and sadness. So, being active and staying healthy will actually boost the self-confidence that you have and will also ensure that you have a good mood.
- Good For The Brain: There is no doubt that our brain is the one that controls everything. With the help of exercise, you can actually help increase the functionality of the brain. Most people would tell you that they are able to multitask in a better way due to exercise. Also, with the help of exercise, you can do great things with your memory because it helps in the improvement of memory as well. Apart from that, you will be able to prevent diseases such as Alzheimer’s if you exercise regularly.
Motivational Tips For Exercise #
There are many people who dread the idea of working out and if you are the same then there are certain things that you can actually do. Well, there is no doubt that exercise doesn’t really take that long and you don’t have to do it for the whole day. However, there are many people who don’t like exercise because it makes their body ache and that can be a problem for them. We are here to tell you that these problems go away after a while. But if you still hate to work out and do exercise, then here are some important tips that should be able to help you out with that.
- Listen to some music that might inspire you when you are lifting the weights. This will help in motivating you in a great way.
- Make sure that you don’t take the elevator and take the stairs instead wherever you go.
- Tennis and badminton are some sports that you can play as these are also some important forms of exercise.
- Go hiking and make sure to take some photographs so that you feel inspired to visit again and again.
- Try and walk every morning to work. This is one of the best ways to make sure that you get some fresh air and some natural exercise as well.
These are some of the best things that you can do in order to motivate yourself so that you can eventually start working out. However, if you are not able to do so then keeping these habits will also be a great help for sure.
What Exercises Are Important? #
Well, it is not rocket science when we ask you to exercise. There are different physical activities that you can try out in order to make sure that you are exercising in the right way. For example, you can enhance your balance by doing some balance exercises. Yoga and Tai Chi are some of the best examples. Cardio exercises are also a great way to make sure that you are able to shave off those extra pounds from your body. Lifting weights and other heavy intensity workouts can actually help in the power training of the body. You could also try and improve the flexibility of your body by doing some stretching exercises.
Some Other Essential Tips For Senior Exercise #
Here we are providing you with some other tips that can actually help you in doing some great exercises as well.
- Make some short term goals first. You don’t just go and do the heavy exercises as it can actually affect your body.
- Also, make sure that you consult your physical therapist in order to check whether you are fit to do such exercises or not.
- Reward yourself when you achieve your goal weight. This will help in motivating your spirits in the best way.
- Work out a proper plan for exercise. Make sure that you set the time limit for every single exercise that you do. This way, you will be able to do everything.
So, that is all that you need to know about senior exercise. Make sure that you follow all the tips to have a proper and healthy lifestyle.
- Exercise and Aging: Can you walk away from Father Time? – While aging is inevitable, exercise can help you to age with grace and vigor. (Harvard Health Publications)
- How Exercise Can Help You – Covers the benefits of exercise for seniors, safe exercises to try, an FAQ, and charts to track your progress. (Go4Life NIH)
- Benefits of Aquatic Fitness – Discusses the benefits of water exercise for people with medical conditions like osteoporosis, diabetes, and back problems. (Aquatic Exercise Association)
- Protein intake and exercise for optimal muscle function with aging – Details how exercise and protein intake can help limit and treat age-related declines in muscle mass, strength, and functional abilities. (The European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism)
- Wheelchair Yoga – Sample poses that can be performed in a wheelchair. (May All Be Happy)
- Locate Chair Yoga Teachers – Find chair yoga classes and instructors in the US., Canada, England, Ireland, and several other countries. (Get Fit Where You Sit)
- Chair Tai Chi – Video demonstrating Tai Chi for chair-bound individuals. (YouTube)