The oral fluid is the term that refers to saliva and several other types of secretions in the oral cavity. The saliva drug test focuses on the detection of various drugs whose tdrug test saliva sample at homeraces can be retrieved from the saliva. Some standard saliva drug test products are only used for detecting alcohol consumptions. Also, check out the best detox drink.
But, some other kits have the capability of testing for various other substances as well. The most common drugs that could be tested using saliva drug test products are AMP, BAR, BUP, BZO, COC, mAMP, MTD, MDMA, OPI, OXY, PCP, and THC, etc.
The test conducted can provide both the identification and quantification of a particular drug. Eventually, the results are given either positive or negative. To get the best product in hand, several things regarding the saliva drug test kit are needed to be considered.
What is Saliva Drug Test and how does it work?
Saliva as compared to other non-invasive specimen methods for drug detection is known for much faster detection. You get the results almost immediately once the sample is collected. The test equipment comes with a testing strip or an absorbent wick that needs to be inserted in the mouth. Learn more about mouth swab drug tests.
It needs to be placed under the tongue for 10 seconds only.
The absorbent wick absorbs the saliva which is then used as a sample to test for drugs. If you are using a testing strip then you probably need to submit this in a lab for processing of results. The absorbent wick type comes with a result panel which you need to place over a flat surface.
Reading for positive or negative results can then be taken after 10 minutes. The results remain valid for 1 hour time after which they get discarded or just invalid. The results are indicated to be positive or negative based on the color-coding method.
Understanding Specific Drugs based on their Cut-Off Range
To make the most of your equipment, you need to understand about the cut-off range for certain common drugs. This cut-off differs from one drug to the other and based on this, the saliva drug test kit works. If the saliva specimen concentrates the level of drugs going at or above the given cut-off then the result will be positive.
If it is lower than the cut-off then the result will come as negative. Let us take a look at the below table which indicates the cut-offs of the most common drugs to be tested using a saliva drug test kit: Learn more about hair drug test.
|Drug||Cut-off (ng/ ml)|
|OPI (Opiates or Heroine)||25|
|MDMA/ MET (Ecstasy or Methamphetamine)||50|
Best Saliva Drug Test kit reviews
For better results, the most effective tests that you can trust on with accuracy and validity are discussed below:
Saliva Laboratory Oral Fluid Drug Test Confirmation/ Screening
This one is a 5-panel saliva drug testing kit. It means that the product can detect 5 different types of drugs which include Amphetamine, Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Opiate, and Marijuana, etc.
The drug screening employs immunoassay that takes antibodies for detecting the existence of drugs or any other substance in the saliva. You can trust this testing kit to provide a positive or negative result rather than measuring and giving the amount of the drug present in the saliva specimen.
The product is right as per the standards given by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA). When it comes to confirmation then it detects the particular metabolites to give information about the type and quantity of a particular drug.
The cut-off levels for this product in confirmation testing are found to be quite lower than those found in the instant saliva drug tests.
Please note that this product is only to take the saliva sample. You need to submit this in a medical lab facility either by mail or in person. The lab will perform the tests on the specimen and will share the results subsequently.
- It provides a simple and non-invasive way of taking the saliva specimen.
- The limited panel equipment is can detect some popular drugs including cocaine and heroin.
- The specimen taken through the product can give information about the type and quantity of drugs.
- The product is right as per the standards of SAMSHA.
- It is a 5-panel saliva test kit only and misses out on some important drug test detection such as phencyclidine and barbiturates etc.
Video Credit: Medical Disposables
What is the time duration of different drugs in the saliva?
If you have read the heading above well then you must have concluded by now that the time for which a certain drug remains in the human saliva varies from drug to drug. Another variable factor here is also the quantity of drug consumed and even it depends on the metabolism system of the human being. As a guideline. Let us tell you about some of the common drugs and for how long they stay in the saliva for the drug test to be performed. Check the information below:
- Benzodiazepines – The subject substance stays in the saliva for 10 days. This is the drug that stays in the saliva for the longest. However, an intermediate-acting similar drug such as lorazepam can be detected only as long as 5 days, which is still quite long.
- Marijuana – Marijuana is a harmful drug that is derived from a plant. It is now legal in certain states of America if possessed in reasonably low quantity. As compared with other drugs on the list, the life of marijuana in the human body is quite long. Using blood or urine test, marijuana consumption can be detected for the last six weeks. In the case of saliva, the present time is 24 hours.
- MDMA – MDMA is also commonly known as Molly or ecstasy. You will find this available on the panel of the majority of mouth swab kits as it is too common. This may last longer in blood or urine but the time duration is saliva is quite short. It can be detected only for 24 hours in the saliva.
- Cocaine – Cocaine is a popular but harmful drug if injected or smoked consistently for a longer period. The detection window for cocaine is found to be quite reasonable in the saliva. The mouth swab drug test can detect cocaine consumption in the last 48 to 72 hours. However, different concentration and preparation of cocaine may impact the detection window.
- Opiates – All available opiates are not equally made so the length of time they remain in the human body or saliva varies considerably. Some of the opiates illegally made and found in the streets lead to much ambiguity in the time for which they remain present in saliva. It is mainly due to the presence of certain unknown components along with analogs. Usually, heroin and multiple other opiates can be detected in human saliva for 24 to 36 hours.
- Alcohol – Alcohol as compared to other drugs is different and it is not usually part of the urine or blood tests. It is because of the rate at which alcohol gets metabolized in the human body. If someone has alcohol a night before the test then the urine or blood test would normally come as negative. The mouth swab oral test at the other end has a much longer window. It can detect alcohol in saliva for a period of 6 to 12 hours.
Saliva Oral Fluid 6 Panel Direct Drug Test Device
This is a top product that takes the sample and instantly provides the result. It is a complete product for carrying a saliva drug test at home where you don’t require to submit ay specimen at a lab for evaluation or screening. The equipment is useful for screening any recent drug consumption.
The collection of saliva specimen is quite easier where red lines appearance indicates if sufficient specimen has been collected. You just need to remove the cap of the device and insert its absorbent wick right under the tongue of the specimen donor.
The absorbent wick must stay in for 3 to 5 minutes or use the red indicator line to ensure that a sufficient sample has been collected. Once the specimen has been collected then put the cap back on and place the device on some flat surface. The results should be read right after 10 minutes which are very much accurate. If you delay reading for an hour or more than the results would not be valid with this saliva drug test device. The 6 drugs that it can detect include THC, mAMP, AMP, OPI, BZO, and COC.
- The device has got a diverse drug panel profile with 6 different drugs capable of detecting.
- Near to accurate results can be obtained within 10 minutes.
- A useful red line helps as an indicator of a substantial specimen of saliva has been collected.
- Results using color coding are easy to read to conclude the result as positive or negative.
- Results are secured for a limited time only and do not remain valid after 1 hour.
Alcohol Saliva Test Strip Kit
This is very easy to use a saliva test strip to use at home. It doesn’t require any special or formal training for administering the sample or results. The test kit is only suitable for detecting alcohol consumption. It is a highly sensitive device that detects alcohol with immense precision.
The device indicates the alcohol level in blood in the range of 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, and 0.30 percent levels. The performance is quite swift where the results are obtained within 5 minutes of taking the sample. To test through this device, you need to wait for some 15 minutes after having the last intake of alcohol. As an alternate, you may consider drinking a glass of water before you start to take a sample using this test equipment. The donor needs to completely saturate the test pad of the kit with saliva. It should take some 5 to 10 seconds.
- The product offers a diverse range of alcohol consumption in 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, and 0.30 percent.
- The results are quickly obtained within 5 minutes.
- The testing kit requires the absorbent wick to be inserted in the mouth for 10 seconds only.
- Positive or negative results are induced with an easy and distinct color-coding method.
- This testing kit is only meant for alcohol detection and no other drug.
Saliva Oral Fluid Direct Drug Test
This one is an impressive device with a diverse panel range of working with 7 commonly consumed drugs. The list of drugs that it can detect includes Amphetamine, Benzodiazepines, Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Opiate, Oxycodone, and Marijuana, etc.
Taking saliva specimens using this product is just a matter of seconds and unlike other mouth swab products, it doesn’t take excessive minutes.
You just need to put the absorbent wick of the device in the mouth for 5 to 10 seconds. You will get an indication of collecting enough specimens through the red guideline on the device. Once the sample is taken then place the device on some flat surface to build the results. You can then check the results after 10 minutes. Make sure that you do not delay taking the reading beyond one hour as the results than would become invalid. The results obtained would be either positive or negative. This is shown using the color-coded technique. The third possibility could be invalid results, which could be an issue with the insufficient sample taken or anything else. You need to retake the saliva sample if the device shows invalid results.
- The device has a diverse drug panel of detecting 7 commonly consumed drugs.
- The sample taking is an easy procedure that takes a maximum of 10 seconds only.
- The red indicator line is quite useful to ensure that enough sample of saliva is taken.
- You can supervise multiple tests at once while using this product.
- The device can give only positive or negative results but cannot tell about the number of drugs.
Saliva Oral Fluid Laboratory Drug Test Confirmation
If you are only interested in taking the drug test saliva sample at home or office then this product can be highly suitable for you. The collected samples can then be taken to the nearby laboratory for screening and sharing the results.
The labs generally give the results back in 24 hours. The time may go till three days or more if the specimen is to be sent and results received through post. The forensic teams and employers find it a quite useful product, especially for its drug coverage list.
This item can detect 12 drugs including AMP, BAR, BUP, BZU, COC, mAMP, MTD, MDMA, OPI, OXY, PCP, and THC, etc. Please note that there are certain confirmations that you need to take care of, especially when your test comes positive in certain cases. You are also supposed to send a completed form of Chain of Custody when submitting your specimen at the laboratory. This varies as per the law in your place of residence.
- The product has a diverse drug panelist comprising of 12 commonly consumed drugs.
- The product is easy to use for taking the saliva sample that takes a few seconds only.
- This item is as per the SAMSHA standards.
- The testing results are found to be quite accurate.
- The product can only take a saliva specimen. Results are processed at a lab after submitting the specimen.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does any drug last in human’s saliva? It depends on the type of drug to be tested. Cannabis has a shorter duration of 4 to 6 hours. Heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, and amphetamines can be detected in 24 to 48 hours. This time may also depend on the metabolism of the individual and also the quantity of drug consumed. What can an oral fluid drug test detect?An oral fluid drug test can detect cocaine, marijuana, opiates, PCP. Amphetamine, methamphetamine, and alcohol, etc. How long do I need to wait for the results when using a saliva drug test kit at home? A good quality saliva drug test kit returns reliable results within 10 minutes.
Things to consider when picking up the Saliva drug test
Important things that every saliva drug test kit buyer need to look at are:
Drug Panel Range
The drug panel range tells how many different types of drugs can be detected using a single device. This is something that will define the productivity of the device and how much use it can be under certain situations. You can have a device to detect a single substance, such as alcohol only. There can be other devices having the capability of detecting anywhere between 5 to 10 drugs. A few of the common drugs that you can have on the saliva test kit includes AMP, BAR, BUP, BZO, COC, mAMP, MTD, MDMA, OPI, OXY, PCP and THC, etc.
Device Adherence to SAMSHA Standards
If you want to use the saliva drug test results as some evidence in the court then those can only be accepted if the equipment is approved by regulatory bodies In case of saliva drug test kits and other similar products, they must be as per the standards defined by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA). It is also something that employers conducting their tests in their public or private vicinity look for as it ensures the legitimacy of the tests been conducted.
Accuracy of Results
The accuracy of saliva drug tests generally is quite better as compared with other methods that require urine or blood as a sample. Any tempering of specimens or results is not possible with the saliva drug test. If you entrust a quality manufacturer of the saliva drug test equipment then you will be getting results with accuracy closer to 100%.
Ease of Reading Results
A good saliva drug test equipment should provide with easy to read test results. The best manufacturers come with the color-coded technique where a certain color (usually pink) on the result panel indicates a positive test. No color return indicates a negative test. Moreover, invalid result reading may also come which indicates that the sample needs to be taken again.
Test Kit Package Type
A saliva drug test equipment my come in two forms. You may get the equipment with the absorbent wick which you can use to take the specimen and results at home. Another type just provides a testing strip to take samples only at home. This needs to be then submitted at a lab for screening results.
The use of alternative specimens instead of urine or blood for drug detection has opened new horizons in the medical field. Saliva is one of the alternative specimens that the science is referring to these days for the detection of drugs and various other substances in the human body. It is a non-invasive method where the results are obtained instantly with no needle poked into the human body.
The quality products produce precise results that are retrieved almost instantly. Further, this type of test doesn’t allow any room for tampering with the samples. It is for this reason that such testing kits are preferred by federal and private institutions equally for testing their employees against any prohibited substance.
If you are looking to buy a saliva drug test kit then make sure that you check for its accuracy of results, ease of performing a test, and retrieving results and type of drugs that it can detect.