In recent years, the popularity of cannabis has skyrocketed around the globe. While the drug remains illegal in most countries, some have legalized it for both medical and recreational purposes.
Studies over the last decade or two have revealed that cannabis, or weed as it is known more popularly, can be really helpful in alleviating stress and also in combating several mental health disorders. Also, check out the best detox drink for alcohol.
However, weed still has its critics and their critique of the controversial plant is not going to go away any time soon. They claim that the drug can demotivate people, resulting in poor performance at work, and also cause a wide range of mental health issues. The fact is that weed impacts different people in different ways and it’s ultimately up to you to figure out whether weed works for you or not.
Why You Need to Detox from Weed Every Once in a While
If you are a recreational smoker of cannabis, then every once in a while, you should stop using the drug. There can be several reasons for this:
- Drug Screening at Your Workplace: Even if cannabis is legal where you stay, the rules of your workplace may not be too kind on you if you are caught “high” on the job. This is especially true if a drug testing/screening is conducted at your workplace.
- Respiratory Issues from Smoking: Most users of cannabis smoke the drug and no matter what its health benefits are, smoking isn’t really in the best interests of your lungs. If you feel like you are coughing or wheezing too much as a result of all that smoke, it’s time to take a break.
- Breaking the Habit: Cannabis is nowhere near as addictive as harder drugs such as cocaine, alcohol, and heroin. However, it definitely is habit-forming, especially if you are a daily smoker. If you are a heavy weed smoker who spends hours every day crushing, rolling, smoking, and staying high, you may need to call it quits if you want to do something more productive with your time. Learn more about know about the essential drug detox drinks for passing drug tests vs other detox methods.
How to Flush the THC Out Quickly
No matter what your reason for detox is, you need to know that the psychoactive compound in weed, tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, can stay in your system for a long time. If you are a moderate or a heavy user of cannabis, you can expect THC to stick around inside your system at least for 3 – 4 weeks. However, using the following tips and tricks, you can ensure that your body gets rid of it as quickly as possible.
- Drink Loads of Water: Drinking water is a very healthy habit, particularly if you live in a hot and humid environment. But it might surprise you to know that drinking a lot of water can also help you flush out the lingering THC from your body quickly. The more water you drink, the more you will urinate, and the more you urinate, the more THC you will get rid of from your body.
Even though this is not the quickest way of eliminating THC from your body, it is the most natural way of doing it. However, if you have to appear for a drug test soon, you may want to skip this option and consider the ones that come after.
- Work Out: Drinking loads of water is great, but it’s even better to sweat out all the toxins. As the THC gets stored in your body’s fat cells, you should start an intense fitness regime to ensure that you eliminate as many toxins as possible through sweating. Combined with drinking a healthy amount of water, this is a great way to burn not just all those excess calories, but also a lot of THC.
If you are already a fitness freak, then you don’t need to make too many changes to your lifestyle. But if the years of cannabis smoking have turned you into a couch potato, you should hit the gym right away or start playing a sport to sweat all the THC out. Another great way of generating a lot of sweat without exercising too much physical effort is to go in for a sauna bath.
- Use Natural Detox Products: There are tons of natural products out there that can aid you in your endeavor to eliminate THC from your body. One of the most trusted products is green tea, which is one of the most natural detoxifiers out there. If you are not a tea drinker, then you should start consuming a few cups of green tea every day and you can expect the THC to be flushed out sooner rather than later.
There are several other detoxifying drinks available in the market as well, and they typically feature a mix of Vitamin B and Creatine. Such drinks generally dilute the urine and basically “mask” the fact that you are a cannabis user. You should consider such drinks only if you receive a notice about the impending drug test just a few days in advance.
The aforementioned tips are recommended for THC screening that is conducted through urine-based tests. However, if it’s a hair follicle test you have to undergo, then these tips won’t be effective. For such a test, you can consider buying at-home test kits and shampoos to get rid of cannabis toxins from your head and body hair. While there is no guarantee that you will pass a hair follicle test by using these shampoos, a lot of people have used them and managed to pass the test successfully.
Ultimately, getting rid of THC and other cannabis-related toxins from your body will not only help you in passing drug screening tests but will also rejuvenate your mind. For chronic cannabis users, the weed-induced high becomes reality and over time, tolerance can build up as well, which means that you will have to smoke more than before to get high, which also makes the elimination of THC difficult.
Once you decide to cut back on your weed use, you should quit cold turkey. It may be a bit difficult for the first few days, especially if your cannabis use has become a habit, but as weed does not have major withdrawal symptoms, it’s not as difficult as quitting a harder drug.